NEW YORK RETIREMENT PLAN STATE MANDATE: HELP BUSINESS OWNERS BENEFIT
In late 2021, new legislation was signed into law, requiring private employers who do not sponsor a retirement plan to automatically enroll their employees into the State’s new program. The New York State Secure Choice Savings Plan (Program).
No official implementation schedule has been announced. New York is presently working on the program schedule, but it is not yet operational. Those who haven’t yet adopted an employer-based plan have two choices:
- Adopt their own retirement plan
- Register for New York Secure Choice Savings Program, the state-sponsored retirement savings program
Contact your Regional Plan Consultant
Non-Compliant Employers Face Stiff Penalties
NY businesses that don’t adhere to state-mandated retirement legislation within one year will receive a written warning from the government. Each subsequent year of non-compliance will result in these penalties:
- $250 for each employee for each calendar year or portion of a calendar year during which the employee neither was enrolled in the program nor had elected out of participation in the program.
- $500 for any portion of that calendar year during which such employee continues to be unenrolled without electing out of participation in the program.
- $1,000 for each employee for the third and subsequent violations.
Under the Secure Choice Savings Program, employers are responsible for administering the plan for current and new employees who have chosen to opt in, including:
- Deducting payroll amounts at an agreed upon rate or at the default rate of 3%
- Enrolling employees in program
- Withholding and transferring withheld wages to program
- Providing materials and information about program to all employees
Enrollment is set to begin this year, but an exact date has not been announced. Once enrollment is open for all qualified employers, you will have 9 months to comply.
You can help your clients avoid these fines and offer a retirement plan that will:
- Comply with the New York mandate
- Reduce taxes
- Control costs
- Attract and retain top talent
- Maximize business value
- Enable them to work with their preferred business partners
New York Secure Choice OR Customized Plan?
New York Secure Choice is a basic, one-size-fits-all retirement savings program for businesses that do not wish to sponsor a plan for their own employees. Yet there are many businesses that would be better served with a plan from TRA that’s customized to their needs.
|New York Secure Choice||Custom 401(k) from TRA|
|Pre- and Post-Tax Deferrals||Roth IRA w/ auto after-tax payroll deduction||Pre-tax or Roth elective deferral contributions|
|Contributions||Auto-enrolled at a 3% contribution rate||Lesser of 100% of compensation or $22,500|
|Catch-Up Contributions||Determined by Roth IRA contribution limits||$7,500 annually for those age 50 and older|
|Employer Match||Not permitted||Available|
|Income Limit||Determined by Roth IRA contribution limits||No income limits|
|Investment Choices||Default investment option and investments to be determined||Can provide a wide variety from top asset managers|
|Automated Payroll Integration||Available||Available|
|Customizable for businesses||Not customizable||Yes – for example, Safe Harbor, SIMPLE, Profit-Sharing & Cash Balance|
|Tax Credit||No, since there are no start-up costs for employers||Yes – 100% of the expenses paid up to the greater of $500 or the lesser of $250 for each non-HCE’s. A maximum tax credit of $5,000 per year would be available for 3 years.|
TRA Plans to Consider
For New York Secure Choice businesses who want to sponsor a retirement plan, some plans to consider include:
Working closely with you, TRA will create a customized plan that meets your client’s business. We partner with top recordkeepers and investment managers around the country and deliver exceptional client service. We also offer 3(16) Plan Administration Relief Services (PARS) to relieve business owners of day-to-day plan administration responsibilities and manage their fiduciary risk.